forum.alglib.net

ALGLIB forum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

1. This forum can be used for discussion of both ALGLIB-related and general numerical analysis questions
2. This forum is English-only - postings in other languages will be removed.

Post subject: How to get covariance matrix (parameter errors) after LSFIT?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:10 pm 

In classical Levenberg-Marquardt implementations the final step is to get covariance matrix of the standard errors in the fitted parameters. As far as I understand, this is not implemented in ALGLIB's LSFIT.

In "Numerical Receipts" the covariance matrix called "covar" and is part of the iteration procedure (see Chapter 15.5 for code and comments).
But I can't figure out where's the "covar" is in your LSFitNonlinearIteration. Basically, I need it to get the standard errors of fitting parameters. Does anybody have ideas on this?

Post subject: Re: How to get covariance matrix (parameter errors) after LS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

As of version 3.1, ALGLIB does not support this feature. It is planned to be implemented in ALGLIB 3.2 (will be released at the end of the month) along with bound constraints on parameters being fitted.

Meanwhile you can calculate it manually using quadratic model built by algorithm. LSFitState structure has OptState field (it may be hidden behind proxy object ptr or obj in version for your programming language). OptState has QuadraticModel field, which contains 2*transpose(J)*J (if you use Jacobian-based or Jacobian-free fitting). In Hessian-based mode this field contains Hessian. It is symmetric matrix with both upper and lower triangles.

You may need to make some tweaks in ALGLIB code to make this field accessible (adding one or more "public" statements, depending on your programming language).

Post subject: Re: How to get covariance matrix (parameter errors) after LS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:15 pm 

Has this been implemented? I am not able to find it in the latest version. Thanks