forum.alglib.net

ALGLIB forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

1. This forum can be used for discussion of both ALGLIB-related and general numerical analysis questions
2. This forum is English-only - postings in other languages will be removed.

Post subject: Fitting Gaussian with lsfit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:54 am 

First, I'd like to thank you so much for the great effort of putting something like this!

I am trying to do nonlinear fitting of a simple gaussian function:
f= d - ae(-(x-b)^2/c^2)
The function has 4 parameters. I have tried both fg and fgh and in all cases I am not getting the optimal fitting parameters. Same fitting done under Matlab provide the corrected parameters:

a= -0.150688
b= 4.13677
c= 2.44339
d= -0.0037984

See attached file
Many Thanks

Attachments:
File comment: Visual 2010 file
Program.txt [6.72 KiB]
Downloaded 726 times

Post subject: Re: Fitting Gaussian with lsfit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

I see at least one error in your derivative calculation code:
Code:
state.g[0] = -1 / (Math.Exp(AP.Math.Sqr((state.x[0] - state.c[1]))/state.c[2]));

I think that c[2] should be squared. Similar errors may exists in other components of gradient/Hessian. Try to fix them. If it won't converge, we can see what's wrong, but most time ALGLIB users have problems with incorrectly calculated derivatives.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:47 am 

I rechecked the derivatives and indeed fixed one mistake, but still it can not find the min. BTW, to verify that my gradiant and Hessian are correct, I plug the parameters I have obtained from Matlab and the fits stopped at those value. See attached corrected code.

Attachments:
Program.txt [6.79 KiB]
Downloaded 691 times

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

I've checked your code, you still have several errors in the derivatives calculation. You've lost several "minus" signs in the exponents. Correct code for gradient calculation will be:

Code:
if (state.needfg | state.needfgh)
{
    state.g[0] = -1 / Math.Exp(AP.Math.Sqr(state.x[0] - state.c[1])/AP.Math.Sqr(state.c[2]));
    state.g[1] = 2 * state.c[0] * (state.c[1] -state.x[0]) / AP.Math.Sqr(state.c[2]) * Math.Exp(-AP.Math.Sqr(state.c[1] - state.x[0]) / AP.Math.Sqr(state.c[2]));
    state.g[2] = -2 * state.c[0] * AP.Math.Sqr(state.c[1] - state.x[0]) / Math.Pow(state.c[2], 3) * Math.Exp(-AP.Math.Sqr(state.c[1] - state.x[0]) / AP.Math.Sqr(state.c[2]));
    state.g[3] = 1.0;
}

I've not checked Hessian calculation because it means too much analysis. Just moved to FG scheme and tried it - it didn't work. Then fixed gradients - and it worked with starting parameters not too far away from correct ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:48 am 

This is really interesting since I have derived my derivatives using Wolfram alpha (Mathematica). However, your modification fixed the issue. Do you think your procedures can be improved using parallelism?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:19 am 
Site Admin

codudi wrote:
This is really interesting since I have derived my derivatives using Wolfram alpha (Mathematica).

Maybe you've made mistake when coding them in C#. It is possible with such complex expressions. This is one of the reasons why I want to add automatic differentiation in one of the next releases. It will make possible to replace subsequent calls to MinLBFGSIteration with just one call like MinLBFGSOptimize("F(a,b,c,d)=d-a*exp(-(x-b)^2/c^2)") which will automatically and efficiently calculate and differentiate F.

codudi wrote:
Do you think your procedures can be improved using parallelism?

it can benefit from parallelism in two cases:
* when attempting to find global minimum using multistart technique (you can execute multiple optimizations in parallel)
* when you have very complex function whose calculation takes so much time that it is beneficial to calculate it in parallel
In your case (simple function, easy-to-find minimum), I think, parallelism won't help you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:47 pm 

So all you need is to modify the proper fittings to avoid the problem. It just needs a bit of time and effort to modify it. You can actually do it by your own.

los angeles plumbing

Last edited by jamespipers on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you are right. It was planned for 3.0, but 3.0 release took more time than expected, so I think that I will add it to one of the next release candidates scheduled for September along with other easy to implement functionality.