forum.alglib.net

ALGLIB forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

1. This forum can be used for discussion of both ALGLIB-related and general numerical analysis questions
2. This forum is English-only - postings in other languages will be removed.

Post subject: Performance of LMA in C# vs C++?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:35 am 

Hi,

First off, thanks for a superb library. I use it daily in my work in finance. Recently I've experienced some performance issues when I try to use MinCreateV to bootstrap a curve in C#. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the performance of the C# was not the same as the C++. I need to decide if I should migrate my code to C++ or have another look at my C# code.

Regards

Post subject: Re: Performance of LMA in C# vs C++?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Can you post your problem details? In particular, it can be useful to know:
* number of points
* number of parameters being fitted
* algorithmic complexity of the function used to fit points (hard to calculate, moderate complexity, easy one)

You may see 2-5 fold performance increase when moving from C# to C++, but there is some dependency on the problem details. Some configurations will give you moderate performance gain, while others will give higher one.

Post subject: Re: Performance of LMA in C# vs C++?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:20 am 

Hi,

Thanks for your reply (and a great lib). If it is 2-5 times faster in c++, then I think I must migrate.

The performance issue that I've noticed is basically the same regardless of the number of nodes, in relative terms. When I try to tweak the parameters, ie the precision or the size of the steps etc, I can affect the performance plenty. However, when I move from a test environment to the real world (with frequent updates and recalculations) it is obviously not enough.

In reply to your questions, I'll give you an example of a typical problem:

We need to make sure that a curve (given a spline or other interpolation method) reprices a group of swaps (2-10 years, 15, 20 and 30 years for example), with annual coupon payments vs 3 month payments. That is, we have 30 + 30 * 4 = 150 points that need to reprice 12 swaps. I'm not sure if this is particularily complicated. When I tweak this problem, I can get it down to under a second. We do this in other systems where it's done lightning fast.

I will try to optimize the way I'm approaching the problem and see if there is something that I've missed, but I doubt it.

Regards.