forum.alglib.net

ALGLIB forum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

1. This forum can be used for discussion of both ALGLIB-related and general numerical analysis questions
2. This forum is English-only - postings in other languages will be removed.

Post subject: CodeLite GCC filling in gaps of ALGLIB documentation?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:37 pm 

Code lite uses GCC and is easy to install and use in Ubuntu Linux & Windows.
I would like to use the Linear Discriminet Analisis Subpackage in C++.
This coud be a ziped working project showing LDA and ALGLIB in c++ working for other people who want to try to compile it and need help.
Has someone done this before could it be a gap in the documentation?

Post subject: Re: CodeLite GCC filling in gaps of ALGLIB documentation?
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:11 am 
Site Admin

Hello! The problem is that there are too many IDE's around - several free ones for GCC, several versions of proprietary MSVC, and tens of specialized compilers for embedded systems. So instead of trying to supply examples for all of them I've tried to make ALGLIB as simple to compile as possible. Basically, you just have to add all .cpp files to your project - and that's all.

One of the problems with idea you've proposed is that sometimes it is impossible to automatically test whether some particular project file allows to compile new version of ALGLIB. Some IDE's allow you to do such things in 100% automatic mode, while another ones require you to work from GUI.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:28 pm 

I added all the cpp files and cut down through the list till it stoped working and eatch time I was able to remove one I started at the top of the list seeing if I could remove some.
A lot of packages were used for dataanalisis I wanted to use the LDA subpackage.
The compiling even with g++ gnu gcc compiler I beleve for c++ in code lite using ubuntu 11.04 and the newest version of codelite using synaptic package manager in ubuntu.

I compiled it using -o3 -os seperately the code the program runs was hello world. So many of thowse libraries were not used but 1.4megs -1.7 megs was the program size. I turned off debugging to make it smaller.

Should I use .h files instead of .cpp to make the program smaller if I just need the LDA subpackage of data analisis or some compiler options for gcc?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

You can't use .h files without .cpp, because .h contains definitions only - no implementations. And the only thing you can do to reduce size is to remove unnecessary .cpp files. There still remains significant amount of unused code. But unfortunately, it is very hard to remove unnecessary parts of .cpp files.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:05 pm 

Oh I thought functions you don't use in the main file are not added to the file output size.
That was why I was soo shocked when by adding the .cpp files the compiled size was large.